No longer in the "up and coming" category, the hip district of Uptown Denver has firmly established itself as a capital of "cool," just east of downtown. A highlight is Restaurant Row, the stretch of 17th Avenue running from Broadway to City Park that is lined with cafes, bistros, pubs, fine dining establishments and LGBT-friendly bars - almost all with outdoor patios. It's also where you'll find Denver's largest green space, City Park. City Park is also home to two of the city's most popular attractions the Denver Zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. See neighborhood map.
- City Park: Much more than just a park, the sprawling grounds are home to the Denver Zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, plus miles of jogging and biking paths and panoramic views of more than 120 miles of snowcapped peaks.
- Denver Zoo: The zoo is open every day and is home to more than 4,000 animals, representing 650 species including Asian elephants, African lions, Komodo dragons and Western lowland gorillas.
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science: The 100-year-old museum features explorations through the cosmos, dazzling gems and minerals and visit IMAX ad the planetarium all under one roof.
- Avenue Theater: Take in local productions at this cozy little theater that produces comedies, musical and plays, also on 17th Avenue.
City Park is an amazing place to see the sunset over the Rocky Mountains beyond the downtown skyline - sometimes accompanied by a lion roar or peacock crow from the Denver Zoo.
- City Park Jazz: In the summer this free concert series is a local favorite.
- Colorado Black Arts Festival: Taking place each July in City Park, the festival is one of the best in the nation.
- Tour de Fat: Experience New Belgium Brewing's national traveling event in September, which has been called a "comedy, music, art, pageantry, beer-drinking and bike-riding fest."
- Zoo Lights: Stroll through the Denver Zoo in December while the grounds are lit with large-scale animals, an event that's sure to delight kids of all ages.
Start your neighborhood adventure at this suggested spot! This is a centrally located position that you can input into your GPS to get started exploring.