On Sunday, September 1, The University of Colorado Buffaloes battle the Colorado State Rams at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in a hotly contested Centennial State rivalry, The Rocky Mountain Showdown.
Recently, Gallup selected Boulder (home to the Buffs) as the happiest city in America; but Money magazine selected Fort Collins (home to the Rams) as the best place to live in America a few years ago. One thing’s for sure: By the end of the 4th quarter, one city is going to be much happier than the other!
But you don't have to be alumnus of either school to enjoy the excitement of college football right in downtown Denver. The Showdown is just one part of what will be another amazing Labor Day Weekend in Denver, featuring free festivals, can't-miss museum exhibits and more.
Plan a late summer getaway and take advantage of some great hotel deals in The Mile High City, with rates starting as low as $52.80.
THE LOWDOWN ON THE SHOWDOWN
The first “showdown” between the Colorado Buffaloes and the Colorado State Rams took place all the way back in February of 1893. One hundred and twenty years later, the rivalry still runs deep – not just on the field, but in the parking lot! From 1:30-3:30 p.m., join fellow fans getting their pep on.
- The CSU Alumni Association’s pregame rally features CAM the Ram, a performance by the CSU Marching Band and Spirit Squad, live music by the Nacho Men, and plenty of food and drink in Lot J.
- Buffs fans can party in Lot C, just southwest of the stadium, for a public, family-friendly tailgate party prior to kick-off. Enjoy a performance from the CU Marching Band and Spirit Team, plus delicious food and drinks.
After a coin toss by Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper and school officials, kickoff is scheduled at 4 p.m. The Rams took the prize last year in a nail-biting 22-17 game, so you can bet the Buffs will come out hungry for revenge. Halftime is a blast too, with cheerleader dance routines, both teams’ marching bands and much more.
Tackle Hunger Food Drive
Contribute to a great cause at the Showdown. “Tackle Hunger” will collect monetary donations from fans attending the game, with proceeds divided between Feeding America food banks in Larimer and Boulder counties. Look for volunteers during the tailgating rallies or at the stadium gates. You can also donate via text message. During the first quarter, fans will be encouraged to Text TACKLE to 501501 to make a $10 donation that will be included in monthly phone bills.
Experience Labor Day Weekend In Denver
When you’re not at the Showdown, Denver is packed with fun things to see and do over Labor Day Weekend.
- Enjoy the diverse flavors of A Taste of Colorado in Civic Center Park, a fun – and free – festival featuring more than 50 area restaurants and food trucks, family friendly activities, fireworks, and live music from MC Hammer, America and many more.
- Enjoy exciting major league baseball when the Colorado Rockies take on the Cincinnati Reds in downtown Denver’s classic ballpark, Coors Field.
- Take in a triple-feature at the Denver Art Museum, which is hosting the gotta-see-it-to-believe-it Nick Cave: Sojourn, Mark Rothko’s Field To Figure and Spun: Adventures In Textiles.
- Labor Day Weekend could be your last chance to go to the top of the continent this summer! Mount Evans Scenic Byway, just 47 miles west of Denver, climbs 14,264 feet above sea level for an awe-inspiring adventure. Weather conditions make it necessary to close the byway after Labor Day.
- Find out more things to do in Denver over the long weekend.
# # #
About Denver Sports
Denver Sports was founded in 2001 to help bring high-profile sporting events to Denver. The organization is best known for its involvement with the 2008 NCAA Men's Frozen Four, the 2012 NCAA Women's Final Four and the annual Rocky Mountain Showdown football game that matches the University of Colorado Boulder against Colorado State University. For the past 11 years, the organization also led the effort to position Denver for a possible future Olympic Bid. In December 2012, Denver Sports merged themselves with VISIT DENVER's sports marketing efforts. More information can be found at VISITDENVER.com/DenverSports.