CELEBRATE LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN THE MILE HIGH CITY
Denver’s Blockbuster Summer comes to a close with a big Labor Day weekend filled with fun (and free) festivals, professional sports, live music, and plenty of family friendly activities, not to mention great hotel deals.
A Taste of Colorado
Friday, September 3 – Monday, September 6
The free, four-day “A Taste of Colorado” attracts more than 500,000 foodies to Civic Center Park to enjoy the offerings of more than 50 area restaurants, in addition to 250 marketplace artisans, vendors, and educational programs promoting the diverse cultural and western heritage of the region. The festival also features seven stages of live music, with big name national acts planned for 2010.
- New this year: Adventure Base, an interactive exhibit celebrating the Boy Scouts of America’s 100th anniversary; KidzStage and KidZone featuring play equipment and hands-on craft activities; the Festival of Mountain and Plain area, where families can learn about the state’s pioneer past, nature, and the environment
Vampire Weekend, Gov’t Mule and Willie Nelson at Red Rocks
There are three fantastic bills at the one-of-a-kind Red Rocks Amphitheatre over Labor Day Weekend.
- Friday, September 3: The “Upper West Side Soweto” sound of Vampire Weekend, with buzz bands Beach House and Dum Dum Girls opening
- Saturday, September 4: The rootsy sounds of Gov’t Mule, featuring legendary guitarist Warren Haynes, along with The Avett Brothers
- Sunday, September 5: The one and only Willie Nelson returns to the Red Rocks stage for a long set of classic country music
Free Day at the Denver Art Museum
Saturday, September 4
Enjoy one of the Mile High City’s top attractions for free – check out the museum’s incredible collection of authentic Western paintings, along with contemporary masterworks, and an illuminating look at Native American crafts and art.
- Note: The museum’s blockbuster King Tut exhibit (see below) requires separate admission.
Professional Sports: Colorado Rapids & Colorado Rockies
Cheer on the home team and see why Denver is a sports city that’s second to none.
- Saturday, September 4: Major League Soccer’s Colorado Rapids do battle with the Los Angeles-based USA Chivas at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
- Monday, September 6: The Rockies take on the Cincinnati Reds at Coors Field during this special matinee game on Labor Day starting at 1:10 p.m., with two more home games following September 7-8
Blockbuster Summer Events
These once-in-a-lifetime exhibits are part of the city’s biggest summer ever.
- King Tut at the Denver Art Museum
Through January 9, 2011
Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs boasts 130 objects from the tomb of Tutankhamun and other famous Egyptian pharaohs – most of which have never been seen in the U.S. before, including a 10-foot statue of Tut, the largest rendering of the boy king yet discovered. Take advantage of exclusive “skip-the-lines” VIP King Tut packages offered by Denver hotels.
- Moore in the Gardens
Through January 31, 2011
Denver Botanic Gardens’ landmark, open-air exhibition of monumental works by the internationally acclaimed sculptor Henry Moore offers a unique opportunity to see Moore’s immense work in a diverse array of landscape – from prairie wildflowers and serene reflecting pools to cacti or the rugged alpine rock garden.
Great Rates at Denver Hotels for Labor Day Weekend
Denver hotels have rates starting at $79 with many others offering “stay one night at regular price, get a second night for $52.80.” All rates are based on availability*. Browse all the offers at www.Denver5280Deals.com.
# # #
About VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau
Celebrating more than 100 years of promoting the Mile High City, VISIT DENVER is a nonprofit trade association that contracts with the City of Denver to market Denver as a convention and leisure destination, increasing economic development in the city, creating jobs, and generating taxes. Tourism is the second-largest industry in Denver, generating $2.8 billion in annual spending in 2009, while supporting 65,000 jobs. For more information on Denver, call 800-2-DENVER or visit Denver’s official website at VISITDENVER.com.