MILLION DOLLAR CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE DENVER AS HOLIDAY DESTINATION
DENVER (November 18, 2009) – Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper joined VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau, and other business leaders at a press conference today in the newly refurbished Denver Pavilions to kick off the sixth annual Mile High Holidays – a marketing campaign valued at $1 million to promote Denver as a vacation holiday destination.
Sponsored by VISIT DENVER, the City of Denver and more than two dozen other partners, the integrated marketing campaign is targeting prospective visitors in the metro area, throughout Colorado and in the Rocky Mountain region and includes a dedicated Web site, Internet promotions, radio and television commercials, regional newspaper ads, regional magazine ads, outdoor boards, RTD ads and newspaper inserts. The campaign, through media partnerships and in-kind services, will create awareness of and inspiration to engage in Denver’s holiday programming.
“Denver is the cultural, shopping, nightlife, dining, sports and entertainment capital of the Rocky Mountain West,” stated Richard Scharf, president & CEO of VISIT DENVER. “This campaign encourages families from throughout the region to start a tradition of coming to the big city during the holiday period to see the Parade of Lights, take a carriage ride down the 16th Street Mall, listen to the bells at the City & County building, see the massive holiday displays at shopping centers like Cherry Creek and the Denver Pavilions, take in a performance of The Christmas Carol, cheer on the Avs and the Nuggets at the Pepsi Center and dine in some of our outstanding restaurants,” Scharf said.
Some 44 hotels are offering special holiday rates, 30 of which start at the “mile high” rate of $52.80. Others are offering significant discounts in some cases, and in others, holiday value-adds and amenities.
Mile High Holidays – in its sixth year – is a collaborative marketing program to increase the overall number of visitors to Denver in the traditionally slow period of November through January. Partners include: VISIT DENVER, the Downtown Denver Partnership, the Cherry Creek Shopping District, Denver Center for the Performing Arts, and the City & County of Denver. The joint campaign will allow the partners to reach more people than any partner could reach on its own with information about Denver’s holiday activities and the terrific seasonal bargains offered by Denver merchants.
As part of the cooperative Mile High Holidays promotion, VISIT DENVER, the Downtown Denver Partnership and the City combined to create one comprehensive Web site, www.MileHighHolidays.com
The Web site has complete information about all holiday events, from the 9News Parade of Lights to the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo, as well as information on holiday festivities, theater, light displays, shopping, parking, and hotel specials, including New Year’s Eve packages.
2009 Mile High Holidays Marketing Campaign Includes:
- Campaign target markets include: Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Greeley, Cheyenne, Laramie, Casper, Scottsbluff, Lincoln, Omaha, Wichita, Salt Lake City and Albuquerque, as well as Metro Denver and mountain resort destinations.
- Nearly 500, 30- and 15-second commercials on KCNC-CBS 4, Comcast and Entravision.
- Radio spots on: KOSI, ALICE and The MOUNTAIN. Additional on-air regional radio promotions include Denver weekend getaway prizes.
- Print newspaper advertising in the Denver Post, La Voz and El Semanario.
- A full color, 6-page newspaper insert in 500,000 targeted households in the region. Markets include: Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Pueblo, Greeley, Grand Junction, Laramie, Casper, Cheyenne, Lincoln, Scottsbluff, Omaha and Wichita.
- Magazine ads in AAA Encompass and 5280 Magazine.
- Onsite promotions with partners such as King Soopers in 144 store locations and Kroenke Sports during Pepsi Center events.
- Online marketing ads on sites including Travelocity, as well as Google keyword buys.
- CBS Outdoor billboards throughout Metro Denver.
- Ad placements on RTD mall shuttles and light rail promoting Mile High Holidays.
- A publicity campaign with holiday releases sent to more than 35,000 media outlets across the nation.
Partners in Mile High Holidays
A number of organizations joined together in 2009 to market Denver as holiday getaway destination including:
· City & County of Denver
· VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau
· Entercom radio
· Entravision TV and radio
· King Soopers
· Denver Newspaper Agency
· CBS Outdoor
· Denver Center for the Performing Arts
· Cherry Creek Shopping Center
· Cherry Creek North
· Kroenke Sports
· Downtown Denver Partnership
· National Western Stock Show & Rodeo
· Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
· Hyatt Hotels
o Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center
o Grand Hyatt Denver
· Residence Inn Denver City Center
· Westin Tabor Center
· 39 additional Metro Denver hotels
· Downtown Aquarium
· Denver Museum of Nature & Science
· Denver Art Museum
About VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau
Celebrating 100 years of promoting the Mile High City, VISIT DENVER is a nonprofit trade association that contracts with the City of Denver to market Denver as a convention and leisure destination, increasing economic development in the city, creating jobs and generating taxes. Tourism is the second largest industry in Denver, generating $3.1 billion in annual spending in 2008, while supporting 65,000 jobs. For more information on Denver call 800-2-DENVER or visit Denver’s official Web site at VISITDENVER.com.
# # #
With press or photo inquiries, please contact:
Rich Grant: (303) 571-9450 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jen Elving: (303) 571-9451 or email@example.com