The Colorado Convention Center in downtown Denver is the premier green meeting space for a sustainable meeting or convention.
With a dedicated Sustainable Programs Manager, a robust sustainability program and a 300,000 kilowatt solar array, the LEED Gold Certified Existing Building is the premier sustainable conference center and ideal location for a green meeting or convention. The Colorado Convention Center is now the largest existing building in the region to attain LEED Gold within the Existing Building Operation and Maintenance (EBOM) criteria through recertification. In 2015, The Colorado Convention Center received the CDPHE Environmental Gold Leader Recognition by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).
Please click here for the 2015 Colorado Convention Center Sustainability Report.
For more information, please contact our Sustainable Program Manager, Lindsay Arell (303-681-1768) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our energy conservation programs are designed to optimize efficiencies in our energy consumption by focusing on infrastructure updates, best practices, and preventative maintenance. The program also tracks and record energy consumption to help monitor the impact of our efforts and establish benchmarking goals.
2015 Energy Highlights:
- 300kw roof top solar array produced a total of 335.26 MWh of energy this year
- Replaced old VFD's on AHU-17,18,and 19
- Replaced an A/C unit with a fan coil unit that runs off the building chill water loop, meaning less maintenance and no refrigerants.
- Installed new VFD's on heating pumps 8,9,and 10
- Conversion of "wavy lights" over the stairs and escalators to 21watt LED lamps. For a total savings of 8,844 watts for both the A/F atrium and C/D atriums.
- Replaced fixtures along Welton Drive with 52watt LED fixtures
- Replace lights over the dock with 125watt Juno LED fixtures.
WASTE REDUCTION & DIVERSION
Our comprehensive waste management program plan focuses on identifying, reducing, and diverting the various waste streams created by venue operations, attendees and clients. Components of this plan include a facility Waste Audit, methods to reduce the amount of waste being created, manage inevitable waste and divert waste from landfill by means of reuse, repurposing, recycling, and composting.
2015 Waste Management Highlights:
- Waste Diversion from the landfill of 45%
- 373.2 tons of materials recycled in single stream recycling
- 195.6 tons of material composted
- 67,105 lbs of goods donated to local non-profits
- The CCC recycled over 5,879lbs (2.94tons) of shredded paper resulting in the following environmental benefits:
- Conserved 51,296 gallons of oil 1.8%
- Saved 5,131 trees .18%
- Avoided 1,057,602 lbs of carbon 37%
- Saved 1,691,665 gallons of water 60%
- 12,054 kW of energy saved .42%
- 176 lbs of pollutants kept out of the atmosphere
- Prevented 94 trucks from going to the landfill
- Clearly labeled trash and recycling bins were placed on all levels in the parking garage
- Continued encouragement for planners to utilize the Digital Display Monitors to reduce separate signage outside of rooms.
The Colorado Convention Center's water quality and conservation best practices address water quality and conservation methods including: chemical management, water efficient landscaping and irrigation, and building infrastructure (toilets, urinals, sinks, showers) efficiencies. The program tracks and records water consumption, and establishes benchmarking goals.
2015 Water Conservation Highlights:
- The CCC replaced approximately 120 faucets with new Chicago self-charging, touchless faucets that only flow water when hands are under the faucet.
- The CCC uses green cleaning supplies and practices to eliminate chemicals entering the waste water system.
Our air quality program addresses improving the Air Quality within and surrounding the venue. Areas of focus include ENGINE'S OFF! anti-idling policy and enforcement, smoking policies, alternative transportation, fleet vehicle management and management of VOC's and hazardous air pollutants.
2015 Air Quality Highlights:
- Sponsorship of (2) Denver Bike Share Stations located on property.
- Overall reduction of 4,117,826 lbs of CO2 through power generated by solar array since inception
- ECO Passes provided to all full time employees, resulting in over 50% of employees take alternative transportation methods when commuting to/from work.
- Purchased an electric golf cart to help drive elderly or handicap customers to and from their vehicle.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND STAFF WELLNESS
The Colorado Convention Center continued its efforts to support the community through both donation program and volunteer hours.
2015 Community Outreach and Staff Wellness Highlights:
- Earth Day Green Week Challenge had 27 employee participants who committed to sustainable actions for the year.
- Awarded (4) Champion for the Environment Awards to convention center employees for their continued leadership in our programs.
- A Wellness committee hosted 35 events with participation from over 150 employees. Activities include: Staff Ski trip, Bike club, Book Club, Museum Days, Film on the Rocks and Fishing trips.
- In 2015 a total of 359 Hours were volunteered by SMG Denver employees
- In a continued partnership with RAFT Colorado (Resource Area for Teachers), the CCC donates left over conference materials to the organization. In 2015, the CCC donated a total of 4500 lbs. of materials to RAFT.
GREEN AWARDS & ACCREDITATIONS
All of these highlights contribute to the many awards and certifications the Colorado Convention Center has received.
• The Colorado Convention Center received the CDPHE Environmental Gold Leader Recognition in October 2015. The Colorado Environmental Leadership Program (ELP)
• LEED Existing Building: Operations and Maintenance GOLD
• ASTM/APEX Sustainable Event Venue- Level Two
• ISO Standard 14001: Environmental Management System