Great Denver Cocktails
Denver's superstar chefs aren't the only ones coming up with innovative creations. Skilled bartenders at the Mile High City's restaurants, nightclubs and lounges mix fantastic cocktails (often using Colorado-distilled spirits) on a nightly basis. Drink up!
Try some of Denver’s best spirits at some of Denver’s best restaurants.
- Downtown Denver’s new (but old school) cocktail bar, Green Russell (1422 Larimer St.), offers the Jalisco Sour: blanco tequila, mescal, Leopold Bros. peach whiskey, fresh grapefruit and lime juices, and black-pepper syrup.
- The Squeaky Bean’s (3301 Tejon St.) bracing Cowboy Coffee cocktail consists of Stranahan’s whiskey, Angostura bitters, coffee beans, Demerara simple and lemon peel.
- Head to the Ship Tavern in the historic Brown Palace Hotel (321 17th St.) for a Colorado Sidecar, made with Stranahan’s Whiskey, Grand Marnier, simple syrup and lime juice.
- The curiously-named-but-delicious Corpse Reviver at Jax Fish House (1539 17th St.) is a mix of Leopold Bros. American small batch gin, cointreau, cocchi Americano, fresh lemon juice with a rinse of absinthe.
- Get adventurous at ChoLon Bistro (1555 Blake St.) and order the Old Saigon, with Stranahan’s Whiskey, muddled Thai basil, Luxardo Cherries and housemade bitters.
- Duo Restaurant (2413 W. 32nd. Ave.) offers the enticing Blackberry Sage Manhattan, with Leopold Bros. blackberry whiskey spiked with sage and lemon.
COLORADO'S SIGNATURE COCKTAIL: THE TREE LINE
In June of 2011, the Colorado Distillers Guild and the Colorado Bartenders Guild (along with co-sponsors Westword and MCA Denver) hosted the Colorado Cocktail Contest. The aim? To get the state's best mixologists to create a signature Centennial State cocktail. The competition was fierce, but Marnie Ward of Denver's Avenue Grill emerged victorious with the Tree Line, a cocktail that makes use of Leopold Brothers' Small Batch Whiskey and Herbal Liqueur. The recipe:
2 Bing cherries
2 oz. Leopold's Small Batch Whiskey
.5 oz Leopold's Three Pins Alpine Herbal Liqueur
.5 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
.5 oz simple syrup
Muddle cherries, lemon juice and simple syrup; add whiskey and Three Pins; add ice and shake. Serve up. Garnish with round slice of lemon peel (to replicate the Colorado sun). Drink and enjoy!