Some equate “historic” with a past-its-prime and old-fashioned mentality, but one of Denver’s most stylish and vibrant blocks (and the oldest) is Larimer Square in the heart of downtown. The charm of carefully restored buildings, a canopy of white lights draped over the street and an impressive mix of truly unique retailers make this a place for treating yourself, shopping for special gifts, and wrapping up the excursion with a freshly brewed coffee, handcrafted cocktail or delicious bite to eat.
The inspired mix of independent businesses on Larimer Square is truly curated. Here are six reasons why Larimer Square delivers a quintessential shopping experience any time of year.
1. It’s small business every day, not just on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Larimer Square specializes in local retailers that sell items not available the next block over, at the nearby shopping mall and even elsewhere in the state. Cry Baby Ranch is a haven for fans of Western wear, boots and furnishings with upscale chic, and those with furry friends should head to Dog Savvy Boutique for pooch products and canine spa treatments.
2. One-of-a-kind apparel for men and women is the norm not the exception. No one wants to show up in the office or at a gathering in the same outfit. Larimer Square has boutiques for women like Blush, Eve, Frinje and Hailee Grace and a shop for men, Moda Man, offering contemporary casual and elegant attire. Blue Ruby offers designer looks for both men and women.
3. Accessories that make a statement are found here. First, start from the ground up with smart shoes sold at Scarpaletto and John Fluevog and move up to hip bags at Timbuk2, stylish eyeglasses at The Bent Lens, and handmade hats at Goorin Brothers. For unique jewelry to complete the look, stop by Gusterman Silversmiths, John Atencio, and Victoriana Antique & Fine Jewelry, a Denver institution for more than three decades.
4. Your home also deserves pampering. Whether adding a little pizzazz with a new décor piece, changing up the look of an entire room or buying a gift, Element, Sally Centigrade and Studio West stand ready to assist.
5. New additions keep Larimer Square vibrant. The district regularly adds retailers and services and is pleased to introduce AILLEA, a clean beauty boutique selling toxin-free products; L Style Bar, a professional dry hairstyling and makeup studio; Mountain Khakis, the only store outside of the brand’s home base in Jackson Hole, Wyo.; and Wax & Lash, a waxing studio that also offers skincare services and eyelash extensions.
6. A special outing to enjoy and not a “to-do” list item. Larimer Square is a shopping outing to savor when there are a few hours to enjoy on your own or an afternoon or evening with girlfriends, family or a sweetheart.
Just a word of caution. Engaging all your senses when shopping Larimer Square will undoubtedly result in lingering longer and several return visits!