Alpine Superheroes: Survival in a Land of Extremes
Jul 14, 2018
- Location: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- 1895 Fall River Rd., Estes Park, CO 80517
- Host Organization: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- Price: $80 per adult age 16+
- From: 08:00 AM to 04:30 PM
- Science & Nature, Special Event
“The combination of heavy snowfall, bitter wind, low temperatures, and mountainous topography in alpine areas creates the most severe climate in the world,” writes alpine researcher Joyce Gellhorn in her book Song of the Alpine.
In the extreme environment of the alpine tundra, where humans are only seasonal visitors, a diversity of plants and animals survive and thrive. This event will explore the physical factors of climate and topography that challenge life and the survival strategies of alpine plants and animals.