Hummingbirds: Field Research West of the Divide
Jul 19, 2018
- Location: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- 1895 Fall River Rd., Estes Park, CO 80517
- Host Organization: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- Price: $60 per adult age 16+
- From: 08:00 AM to 01:30 PM
- Science & Nature, Special Event
Learn about Rocky’s hummingbird populations and their habitat while observing field ornithologists as they safely capture and band these remarkable birds.
Marking individual birds remains essential to determine population size, migration corridors, and survivorship. Genetic and statistical analyses are complementing and expanding understanding of these important migratory pollinators. Participants will visit typical habitat, observe and identify types of food sources, and learn about factors influencing hummingbird survival. An indoor session following the field site visit will describe the hummingbird family, the geographical distribution of species, and results of analysis techniques.