Orchids of RMNP
Jun 9, 2018
- Location: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- 1895 Fall River Rd., Estes Park, CO 80517
- Host Organization: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- Price: $80 per adult age 16+
- From: 08:30 AM to 04:30 PM
- Science & Nature, Special Event
The orchids comprise the world’s second most diverse family of wildflowers; yet perceived as plants of tropical rainforests, they can seem out-of-place in the Rocky Mountains.
Learning that perhaps as many as 30 orchid species grow wild in Colorado seems remarkable enough, but finding orchids growing wild in RMNP makes the place seem all the more beautiful. In some places, certain orchids may be among the park’s most abundant wildflowers. We’ll start the day learning what botanical traits make a wildflower an orchid, then take that information afield to find them; and, once we find them, we’ll discuss their connectedness to other wild life.