Tesoro Cultural Center's Living History Experience
Jun 2, 2017 - Jul 15, 2017
- Location: The Fort Restaurant
- 19192 Hwy 8, Morrison, CO 80465
- Host Organization: The Fort Restaurant
- Price: $5 per person; free for children six and under
- From: 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM
- Festivals & Events, History & Heritage, Kids & Families, Visual Arts
Tesoro’s Living History Experience will be hosted on the grounds of The Fort restaurant (19192 Hwy. 8, Morrison) and will feature engaging family-friendly activities, dynamic enrichment opportunities, and immersion into the past.
• Rotating theme weekends, including American Indian, Spanish Colonial and Western, with corresponding art, music, dancing, demonstrations and workshops.
• Special engagement events, including the 17th annual Powwow (June 3, 2017) and 1830s Rendezvous (September 16-17, 2017).
• Award-winning artists displaying, selling and demonstrating their work each weekend.
• Showings of “Shinin’ Times,” a film about the connections between Bent’s Old Fort and The Fort Restaurant, narrated by the late Sam Arnold, founder of The Fort; as well as Tesoro’s oral history films, including “Early Spanish Settlers of Colorado,” “The Utes,” and “The Kiowa People.”
• Historical interpreters dressed in period attire.
• Visitors can touch and examine historical objects and explore their stories at Tesoro’s Hands-On-History Cart.
“We’re thrilled to use The Fort’s authentic adobe building, courtyard and tipi to create an immersive experience for visitors to learn about The Fort restaurant, Bent’s Old Fort and early Colorado history in fun and engaging ways,” said Katherine Moore, operations and programs director of Tesoro Cultural Center.
Capitalizing on summer weekends, Tesoro’s Living History Experience will be open Friday-Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., starting June 2 and concluding October 15, 2017.