The Persevering Pika: Secrets of Alpine Survival
Sep 1, 2018
- Location: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- 1895 Fall River Rd., Estes Park, CO 80517
- Host Organization: Rocky Mountain Conservancy — Field Institute
- Price: $80 per adult age 16+
- From: 08:30 AM to 05:30 PM
- Science & Nature, Special Event
Have you ever wondered how a non-hibernating animal like yourself might fare trying to survive in the alpine year-round?
Watch the American pika demonstrate its survival strategy. Pikas and their hibernating neighbors—yellow-bellied marmots, chipmunks and squirrels—are easy to watch in the summer and fall as they forage among the alpine wildflowers. Learn how to spot different animal behaviors that provide clues to how each survives the long, cold winter. Pikas don’t hibernate; so you’re sure to learn a few survival tips from these resourceful little beasts.