Don't miss this only-in-Denver festival at Sloan's Lake Park. September 25-26, 2021! Admission is FREE.
The Colorado Dragon Boat Festival at Sloan's Lake Park has become a wildly popular cultural bonanza in Denver. In fact, 5280 Magazine declared it "one of Colorado's greatest festivals." This year's Dragon Boat Festival promises to be the biggest and best yet.
But let's back up a step first. What is a dragon boat festival, anyway? Its roots go back thousands of years in China as the Duanwu Festival, which remains a traditional holiday in mainland China and Taiwan. Today, it has spread all over the globe.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This two-day festival centers around the dragon boat competition, with more than 50 teams of boaters clambering aboard intricate and colorful dragon boats and racing their way across Sloan Lake. But there's a lot more than just the race. Check out these fun features:
• Five performing arts stages with nearly 100 shows
• An Asian Marketplace featuring gifts, artwork, crafts and novelties from Asia and the Pacific
• The Taste of Asia Food Court showcasing some of the area’s best Asian restaurants and chefs preparing a weekend’s worth of dishes from a variety of Asian cuisines, as well as a beer garden
• Dragonland, where kiddos and adults can take part in hands-on learning projects, from kite making to tea education and cooking demos, as well as a bungee trampoline
• A traditional lion dance extravaganza
• Interactive events, including a spicy ramen-eating contest, tea services, spring roll-making classes, pho tastings and dance instruction