A healthy tourism economy is built and supported by Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) such as VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau, that use a portion of the local Lodger's tax and private membership dollars to market Denver as a visitors' destination.
Denver visitors stimulate the local economy and benefit hotels, meeting facilities, attractions, restaurants, cultural institutions, tour companies, transportation providers, local farmers and countless other businesses.
- Denver welcomed 17.7 million overnight visitors in 2019, a new record and 2% above 2018 totals.
- Overall visitor spending in 2019 set a new record of $7 billion, with overnight visitor spending reaching $6 billion, an 8% increase from 2018.
- Tourism supports 64,000 jobs in metro Denver, a 5-percent increase over 2018.
- Tourism saves every metro Denver household nearly $620 annually in taxes (this is the amount of tax dollars residents would have to pay if not for the more than $661 million in state and local taxes paid annually by visitors).
- In 2019, Denver visitors spent more than $1.9 billion in Denver hotels and other lodging establishments and a record $1.2 billion on food and beverages.
- Expenditures by visitors on transportation surpassed $1.7 billion. Purchases at retail stores were $674 million, while overnight vacationers and business travelers spent $537 million on paid attractions and other recreational and sightseeing activities.
- VISIT DENVER focuses its marketing efforts on "marketable visitors," those who respond to marketing messages and have a choice on where they vacation. On average in 2019, the biggest spenders were marketable leisure visitors, who spent $171 per day; followed by business travelers who spent $147 per day, marking the third consecutive year that marketable leisure visitors spent more per day than business travelers. An additional 14.2 million day visitors spent nearly $1 billion.
Sources: Dean Runyan Associates, Colorado Travel Impacts 2000-2019; Longwoods International, Travel Year 2019