Summertime in Denver is all about the outdoors. Denverites spend these months making the most of the plentiful sunshine and copious fresh air — hiking, biking and enjoying a host of live music extravaganzas.
RED ROCKS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
WHERE: Red Rocks Amphitheatre
No summer in Denver is complete without at least one — or two, or five — trips to the awe-inspiring Red Rocks Amphitheatre, just 15 miles from downtown Denver. More than 70 million years in the making, the 9,450-seat venue is flanked by enormous 300-foot red sandstone rock formations and always boasts a star-studded musical schedule.
A few highlights of the 2017 lineup:
- Sun., May 21: Elephant Revival with The Oh Hellos and Mandolin Oranges
- Mon. and Tues., May 29 and 30: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Joe Walsh
- Wed., May 31: Trey Anastasio Band with Vulfpeck
- Fri., June 2: The Motet and Jurassic 5
- Sun., June 4: John Prine with Kacey Musgraves
- Sat., June 10: Big Head Todd and The Monsters with Collective Soul
- Tues., June 13: Chicago & The Dobbie Brothers
- Wed., June 14: Norah Jones
- Tues., June 20: Ryan Adams with The Infamous Stringdusters and Nicki Bluhm
- Fri.–Sun., June 23–25: Widespread Panic
- Wed., June 28, 2017: Paul Simon
- Fri.–Sun., June 30–July 2: Umphrey’s McGee
- Fri.–Sun., July 7–9: The Avett Brothers
- Wed., July 12: Ween
- Thurs., July 13: Michael Franti & Spearhead with Trevor Hall and Hirie
- Mon., July 24: Lyle Lovett and His Large Band
- Sat. and Sun., July 29 and 30: Tedeschi Trucks Band with The Wood Brothers and Hot Tuna
- Wed., Aug. 2: The Head and the Heart with Grouplove
- Sun., Aug. 13: moe. / Twiddle with Pigeons Playing Ping Pong
- Mon. and Tues., Aug. 21 and 22: Sam Hunt with Maren Morris, Chris Janson and Ryan Follese
- Mon., Aug. 28: Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
- Mon., Sept. 4: Foreigner with Cheap Trick
- Mon., Sept. 18: Muse with Thirty Seconds to Mars and PVRIS
PEPSI CENTER CONCERTS
WHERE: Pepsi Center
Rock, pop and country's biggest stars often make a stop at Pepsi Center — a major sports arena that's right in the heart of the city. When the center isn't hosting basketball's Denver Nuggets, hockey's Colorado Avalanche or lacrosse's Colorado Mammoth, you can catch killer music acts here year round.
A few highlights of the summer 2017 lineup:
- Sat. and Sun., June 3-4: Roger Waters
- Sat., June 10: New Kids on the Block
- Thurs., June 29: Styx and REO Speedwagon
- Sat., July 15: Brad Paisley
- Wed., July 19: John Mayer
- Fri., July 21: Neil Diamond
- Tues., Aug. 15: Ed Sheeran
- Fri., Aug. 25: Depeche Mode
SPORTS AUTHORITY FIELD AT MILE HIGH CONCERTS
WHEN: June–August, select dates
WHERE: Sports Authority Field at Mile High
In town during summer but still want to get a peek at the Denver Broncos' famed home stadium? A summer concert at Sports Authority Field at Mile High might be just the ticket. Big-name acts take to the open-air stage as music carries on the Colorado breeze above the storied gridiron for a concert experience you won't forget.
Summer 2017 concert lineup:
- Wed., June 7: Metallica
- Wed., Aug. 2: Guns N' Roses
- Sat., Aug. 12: Justin Bieber
CITY PARK JAZZ
WHEN: June–early August, Sun., 6–8 p.m.
WHERE: City Park Bandstand and Pavilion
The City Park Bandstand and Pavilion turns into a swinging, open-air jazz club, as music lovers of all ages congregate for City Park Jazz. Bring a blanket or folding chair—but be prepared to spend plenty of time on your feet, too. City Park Jazz encourages dancing. Best of all, these concerts are free.
ELWAY'S TASTE & TUNES SUMMER MUSIC SERIES
WHEN: Wednesdays, mid June–mid August (Backyard opens at 5 p.m., music runs from 5:30–9:30 p.m.)
WHERE: Elway's Cherry Creek
Head to the Backyard at Elway's Cherry Creek every Wednesday this summer for Elway's Summer Music Series. Enjoy free music from some fantastic bands (including some of the area's best tribute bands), cocktails, the restaurant's signature menu and beautiful Colorado evenings. DJ Tanner spins from 5:30–6:30 p.m. and bands start at 7 p.m.
ELITCH GARDENS THEME & WATER PARK SUMMER CONCERTS
WHERE: Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park
Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park is not only a great, family-friendly attraction with roller coasters, water slides and more — it also offers an excellent concert series. All concerts are free with admission to the park.
2017 summer lineup:
- Sat., June 3: Skillet
- Sun., June 18: Los Huracanes del Norte
- Sat., June 24: R5
- Sat., July 1: For King & Country
- Sat., July 22: Jacob Sartorius
- Sat., July 29: Vince Neil
- Sat., Aug. 5: Citizen Cope
- Sun., Aug. 6: La Maquinaria Nortena
- Sat., Aug. 12: Forever In Your Mind
DENVER BOTANIC GARDENS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
WHERE: Denver Botanic Gardens
Denver Botanic Gardens is a lush oasis located in the heart of The Mile High City, with hundreds of rare and lovely species of plants populating the grounds. But it's also home to a stellar summer concert series. The lawns surrounding the stage are general admission, so bring a blanket or lawn chair along with a bottle of wine and a picnic dinner and enjoy the great music in an unparalleled setting. Word to the wise: virtually all Botanic Gardens concerts sell out — so get your tickets early!
Here is a sampling of the 2017 lineup:
- Thurs., June 1: Taj Mo': The Taj Mahal and Keb' Mo' Band
- Wed., July 12: Natalie Merchant
- Wed., July 19: Mary Chapin Carpenter and Sarah Jarosz
- Tues., Aug. 1: Stephen Stills & Judy Collins
- Thurs., Aug. 10: José González
HUDSON GARDENS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
WHEN: Sundays, June–September
WHERE: Hudson Gardens & Event Center
Hudson Gardens is known for presenting some of the best touring artists in the world in a picturesque natural setting, and the 2017 season is shaping up to be one of the most dynamic and exciting yet! All seating is general admission, so bring a blanket or low-back chair. You can bring your own food, or visit one of the many local food trucks that will be dishing out eats during the shows.
FIDDLER'S GREEN AMPHITHEATRE SUMMER CONCERTS
WHERE: Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
Grab a blanket and take a seat on the lawn or buy a reserved seat at this beautiful venue just south of Denver in Greenwood Village. Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre has a variety of acts coming up this spring and summer.
A few highlights of the 2017 lineup:
- Mon., June 5: John Mellencamp
- Tues., June 20: The Moody Blues
- Tues., July 4: Train with O.A.R. and Natasha Bedingfield
- Thurs. July 13: Jack Johnson
- Sun., July 16: Blondie and Garbage with John Doe and Exene Cervenka
- Wed., Aug. 9: Green Day with Catfish and The Bottlemen
- Fri., Aug. 18: An Evening with Idina Menzel
- Sat., Sept. 2: Dierks Bentley with Cole Swindell and Jon Pardi
- Sat., Sept. 9: OneRepublic with Fitz & The Tantrums and James Arthur
MUSIC AT THE BOTTOM ROCK BOTTOM BREWERY PATIO CONCERTS
WHEN: Fridays, June–July
WHERE: Rock Bottom Brewery on 16th Street Mall
The Rock Bottom Brewery is located right on the 16th Street Mall (between Champa and Lawrence Sts.) and offers a weekly happy hour concert series on its sunny patio. Sit back with one of the brewery's handcrafted ales and enjoy some great live music! Doors open at 5 p.m. and bands take to the stage at 7 p.m.